History + Heritage
Ball + Partners draw on the heritage and knowledge of nearly 100 years of legal practice. Ball + Partners has emerged from the firm John W. Ball & Sons which was established in 1983, with a direct linage to the firm of Henderson & Ball which was established in 1919.
Wallace Ball and his brother Bert Ball were partners at Henderson & Ball. In 1951, John Ball (son of Wallace) became a partner at Henderson & Ball. He was joined by his sons Russell in 1976 and Richard in 1982.
In 1982, The Medical Defence Association of Victoria was building new premises in Bouverie Street, Carlton. At its request, John, Russell and Richard retired from the firm of Henderson & Ball and on 1 March 1983 established the firm John W. Ball & Sons. The new firm moved to MDAV’s premises. In 2011, they were joined by Andrew Smith as a partner.
In October 2016, John W. Ball & Sons was relaunched as Ball + Partners. Andrew Smith and Russell Ball continue as directors of the incorporated practice alongside John Arranga and Lara Larking. The original John W. Ball & Sons team combine with a new team of health law experts to create one of the leading law firms in health law in Melbourne and Australia.